Monday, November 20, 2017

Japanese Drum lesson (Wadaiko)

   Januck and I wanted to try taking Japanese drum lesson and had a trial class.  We signed up for what the Music studio called a 'Challenge course' where you try the class out for four times and then if you like it or are probably good at the instrument you can continue taking classes.  HA! HA!
   Our teacher is so gracious because we were sick with colds/fever and coughs for the PAST month and have not been able to attend our classes.  I think he thought we gave up on it or decided against the classes.
    After going tonight though for our class, the Music studio decided not to charge us our missed lessons which was very nice so we are determined to try learning the drums! Our teacher makes drum sticks and asked us if we wanted to purchase some homemade sticks. ( costing about $20).  I didn't ask him what kind of wood he uses but of course we would!!!
   Januck has more power and can hit the drum quite well.  I get caught up in the beat, trying to have a stance and hold the sticks properly that I lose the beat.  I started laughing many times and really lose the beat but our teacher is very patient and tries to use English.
   The funny thing is it looks so easy- but it is so difficult.  I played the piano for a bit when I was younger but have not played any other instrument so trying to follow drum sheet music is especially challenging for me.
   We have another lesson next Monday and I am determined to get better or at least have fun with Januck in learning a new craft :)





No comments:

Post a Comment