Friday, August 18, 2017

My female check-ups

   
   The other day I went to get a mammogram, sonogram and a pap at the hospital.  In Japan, they are able to schedule them all in one afternoon.  The procedure is such where you check in and the hospital staff gives you a robe, a locker key and a lanyard with a # on it.  You change and then proceed to different parts of the hospital for a questionnaire with a nurse, the mammogram (of which the technician was so short she couldn't reach my breasts) which made it more than amusing.  She said I leaned forward so much that two photos had to be redone because my shoulder blade was in them.  Really?  I didn't know I was so flexible during times of pain and uncomfortableness.
   The next station that I was summoned to was the sonogram room.  Giving birth twice in Japan I have had multiple sonograms of my babies but never of my breasts.   I was consumed with the thought of how many "fat" cells would appear on the screen.  Sorry if I am showing my ignorance!
    After 20 minutes of that,  I was shown to another room where my # was called and I was asked to drop my robe but to have a towel wrapped around my shoulders as I proceeded to see a doctor.  I laid down on a bed too short (I adjusted the pillow to the end of the bed) and mentioned to the nurse how tall I was.  The doctor completed a breast check with his eyes closed and mentioning all the teachers, including his son that worked at the high school where we share grounds with our school.  I laughed and played along.
   Soon after, was the pap smear room where you sit in this amazing chair and it magically moves you up and out to the doctor behind a curtain.  It reminded me of the Wizard in the "Wizard of Oz".  Afterwards, I met the doctor and she mentioned there will be a postcard in the mail with the results sent to my house.  I was DONE!
   Two hours later but feeling very relieved I walked back to my locker and changed back into my clothes.  Downstairs, I paid less than $100 with my social health insurance helping to cover some of the cost.




My robe to wear during the check ups.


The locker, where slippers were optional to wear throughout the hospital-

2 comments:

  1. I love to hear of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you do! Not sure if people find this stuff interesting or not!

    ReplyDelete