Sunday, February 25, 2018

Pet Cemetery

I don't know why but at the beginning of the year there were many dead bugs around the classroom and outside. For some bizarre reason, and I'm still not sure why, I decided to start a class Pet Cemetery using a plastic container that I somehow acquired. I wrote Sun Class Pet Cemetery on the outside and as the year went on, dead bugs kept getting added to it. Some students were totally disgusted and others were totally intrigued. We kept it going until last week when we were walking around our local park observing Winter and I decided that it would be a good time to put them to rest. We took the bugs with us and at the end of class, we buried the bugs (pets). They all sang a solemn song that we sang during Open House and many even made a cross and added flowers to the grave. It was one of the strangest ideas that I've ever had but one of the coolest.

Our Pet (Bug) Cemetery!

2 comments:

  1. How beautifully grotesque! The flowers are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We had a lot of fun with it and it is interesting because they wanted to put a cross on it and this is a Shinto-Buddhist country.

    ReplyDelete