Friday, June 16, 2017

Volunteer Library Reading


 
 Last year, I had the idea of reading Children's books at the Numazu City Library as a volunteer project.  Two reasons really- I used to love to take Rachel and Alex to Reading time at the Corona and El Cerritos Libraries when we were off-track from school.  The other is the limited English being spoken here compared to China and Korea.  Being a teacher in an Immersion program, I can see how children learn from being reading to.

  The library was quite surprised that I would want to read to 3-5 year olds for FREE.  My good friend, Tomoko who runs her own ECC English school helped me get it started.  I have read Eric Carle, Dr. Suess and now, Mo Willems' books.

   It has been a way to give back to the community. It has been tricky at times because the library however has no WIFI and limited English books. They are however, very excited to host Tomoko and I every month when we read.  It brings me joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment