Thursday, June 21, 2018

Rain Rain Go Away (Teru Teru Bozu)

It is the rainy season here in Japan and we have had a lot of rain lately. Last night it was raining over an inch an hour and I am from Southern California so that is a whole storm's worth of rain in a day or two. This morning is was raining off and on and when we got to our school parking lot, Joanna noticed a few Teru Teru Bozu hanging in the window in the house in front of us. Teru Teru Bozu is a ghost like figure that people (especially kids) make to try to make the rain go away and to have nice weather. Joanna asked me to take a picture from the car because she thought it would be creepy if I took a picture outside of the house window but I couldn't help myself.


I have been lucky this year because I haven't had a P.E. class cancelled due to the weather (last year I had about 5 cancelled by now) but the forecast said it would rain in the afternoon when my classes were to take place. At noon, the weather cleared and the sun came out so our students were able to go outside for lunch recess (Thank you Kumi for your help!) I took the students out for P.E. fifth period but by the end, it started to get really dark and cloudy and I still had one period left. After we went in and I changed classes, I told the students that it looked like rain but one student said that if we went out and had fun, then we would be in a "light" mood and the rain would stay away. I thought that was so cute and I totally bought into it so off we went to P.E. Sure enough, it got light out and we were able to have a whole period without rain. After we went inside for the students to change to go home, it started raining. Maybe it was the Teru Teru Bozu after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment